Mom Gives A Warning About Sunscreen After Baby Suffers A Horrific Chemical Burn –See The Pictures

Rebecca Cannon thought she did everything right before her 14-month-old daughter Kyla went to play outside a few weeks ago. They went to visit her sister in a nearby city in Canada and had forgotten to pack sunscreen, so naturally, she borrowed some from her sister. According to Today, she sprayed Banana Boat Kids Sunscreen Spray SFP 50 on the palm of her hands and she didn’t expect for Kyla to have an allergic reaction, but that is exactly what happened. “When it came to having sunscreen on, I thought it was better to have some sunscreen than none at all,” Rebecca explained. It didn’t take long for Kyla’s face to become red and swollen. The next morning, the toddler’s face was much worse. “Ok so I’m getting many msgs and just want everyone to know Kyla is back home after another hospital trip this morning due to extream swelling but she is doing ok and is in good spirits.. please watch and be careful when using aerosolized sunscreen!” Cannon wrote on Facebook two weeks ago. The mom explained that her baby’s face was blistered and beet red. She took her to the emergency room where the on call doctor diagnosed her with a second-degree burn. At first, Cannon was confused how Kyla received burns on her face. On the day that she applied sunscreen to her daughter’s skin, Kyla wore a hat and her clothing covered her skin a majority of the day. Plus, the sun didn’t give anyone a sunburn, so how Kayla received such horrific burns was a mystery. “She was the only one who had the sunscreen on and she is the only one who burned.” The doctors prescribed a cream, but after only two applications, her daughter’s face was more irritated. She returned to the ER and they referred her to a specialist who diagnosed the tyke with “caustic burn from something in the sunscreen.” The doctor explained that it was just a fancy was of saying that Kyla was suffering from a chemical burn. Rebecca called Banana Boat about the incident and they offered to send her a refund. They said they would test the product to try to determine the exact reason for the reaction. Cannon said that she has sent the lotion to a lab to conduct her own testing. Banana Boat released a statement about Kyla’s facial burns stating that the product is “unlikely” to cause a chemical burn. “All Banana Boat products undergo rigorous testing to ensure they are appropriately labeled and meet all relevant health regulations, including SPF tests. All Banana Boat sunscreens also fall within a neutral PH range, which means they are safe for human skin, topical use, and cannot cause chemical burns, which are sometimes mistakenly linked to personal care products or confused with sunburns, or tissue damage.” Dr. Friedman, who did not treat the infant, said that the burn appeared to be a condition known as irritant contact dermatitis. The condition is caused by an irritating substance touching the skin. Something as simple as alcohol or vitamin C could have caused the horrific second-degree burns. “It could simply be an irritant reaction rather than something unique to this product.” “There are specific sunscreens for different ages because there are unique biological differences at different ages,” the Friedman added. “Infant skin is much more irritable.” Cannon did the right thing by applying sunscreen and using a hat and clothing to keep her child out of the sun. She had no way of knowing that it would cause a burn. “I never thought in a million years that this would happen. I just want people to do their due diligence when they are putting stuff on their youngsters.” It’s been almost two weeks since the incident, and Rebecca said that Kyla’s skin is still very red but the blisters have subsided. She hopes other moms will hear her story and use caution when applying sunscreen on their children’s faces. [Featured Image by ShvetsovaDesign/Shutterstock]

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*