Ariana Grande Concert Bombing: 19 Confirmed Fatalities After Explosion At Manchester Arena

Authorities in Manchester are now saying that a “number of confirmed fatalities” have been reported after an explosion occurred at the venue of an Ariana Grande concert. There have also been reports that there were two blasts, not one, but those reports have yet to be corroborated. Fox News reported that British Transport Police have confirmed that an explosion occurred in the foyer of the Manchester Arena around 10:30 p.m. Monday night, just about the time the Ariane Grande concert was coming to a close. The Telegraph reported that the number of dead had been confirmed at 19, with at least 50 people injured. The bombing is being treated as a terrorist incident, according to The Independent. According to Fox News, Ariana Grande herself was not injured, according to spokesman Joseph Carozza, who characterized the singer as being “okay.” The pop star was in Manchester on her unfortunately named “Dangerous Woman” world tour. From Fox News: “Witnesses described panic as concertgoers rushed to get out of the arena. Video from inside the arena showed people screaming as they made their way out amid a sea of pink balloons. Some on social media initially suggested that some of the balloons had burst, making a loud noise like a bomb.” Accounts from concertgoers have added to the confusion. Some are saying they heard one explosion just after Ariane Grande finished her last song, others are saying they heard two explosions at the conclusion of the show. A man named Andy told BBC News (per The Telegraph) that he had been blown roughly 30 feet through the air by the blast. “It’s shocking what happened,” he said. “Just carnage everywhere. There was a good 20 to 30 of them [victims]. Some were young kids, some were disabled people.” Andy said that he immediately ran back into the arena to see if he could find his wife and daughter. He said he initially could not find them, so he went back outside to check among the victims. “Luckily they weren’t there, I managed to find them outside the arena and got them back to the hotel.” According to The Independent, emergency services were reportedly at the venue close to Manchester Victoria station, which is located underneath the Manchester Arena, and police helicopters are said to be circling the venue. Police are currently warning people to stay clear of the arena while investigations are taking place. A bomb disposal unit was also reported to be at the scene in Manchester. [Featured Image by Nicholas Hunt/Getty Images]

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*